Thursday, June 16, 2011

K is 2 months old, and breastfeeding issues * Updated with thyroid numbers

*Update: Here are my thyroid numbers from local ob: T4 7.6, TSH 2.73, T3Free 3.1.  They said these are normal, but I want to get you lovely ladies opinion.  Thanks.

K turned 2 months old last Wednesday.  She had her two month appointment on Tuesday.  In general she looks great, but she isn't gaining enough weight.  She was born 6 lbs., 6 oz. and has only gained about 2 lb; she weighs 8 lbs., 4 oz.  Because she isn't gaining well and she's exclusively breastfed, I met with a lactation consultant yesterday.  She said that K's high palate and slightly misaligned jaw and tongue might be causing some latch issues and discomfort that causes her to stop feeding prematurely.  She also said that I should have her pediatrician check her for torticollis, which is a twisting of the neck due to overly tight muscles that causes the head to tilt to one side, since she always tilts her head to the left.

When the LC weighed her before and after feeding, she only took in about half the amount that she needs.  I feel terrible that I didn't realize that there was a problem, but I didn't know that she wasn't gaining enough and she has plenty of wet and dirty diapers.  The fact that she's not getting enough likely explains why she's so upset all the time.  In some ways it's good that there is a problem because it can be fixed hopefully.

The LC recommended some exercises that might help release and realign her neck, tongue and jaw.  She might also need to get some physical/occupational therapy or craniosacral therapy.  She wants me to feed her even more on demand and change sides and positions more during feedings.  Even though generally they say check other things first and don't assume hunger, right now the first thing I need to try is feeding her even when she just ate recently.  She also recommended some foods to eat like oatmeal, flax seed, and eggs (there are more and I can post it later if anyone wants me to do so).  I'm also taking an herb called Shatavari that is supposed to help with supply and getting my thyroid tested again (hasn't been done postpartum).

I'll post about how the Hawaii trip went in the next few days.  She did well on the plane.

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like you're getting good help! I hope it improves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no! I had horrible BF issues so I can emphasize. For me, it was so devastating that my baby wasn't gaining weight like she should have. But, it seems like your baby is on track, I know that it is recommended that babies gain at least 4 oz per week, and you seem on track. Have you checked out the website, kellymom.com? Also, the booking titled, Making More Milk, was extremely helpful to me as was a new mom/lactation group. Hang in there, you are totally doing the right thing! BF is a dance and sometimes it takes months to figure it out. I found that giving my daughter some extra milk (from what I pumped after my morning sessions) in the evening really curbed the fussiness. The best way for me to increase my supply was pumping for 15 minutes (with a double electric pump) after each feeding. It really helped! Email me if you have any other questions or just need to vent. You are doing great, mama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. K has only gained just over 3 oz a week, so she definitely below the recommended. 5-7 oz a week is what's recommended for babies under 4 months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wild that you say your little girl may have torticollis because my 9 month old was just "diagnosed" with this at his check up today. He's always leaned his head to the left but our ped never thought anything of it. We just switched peds and voila! A diagnosis. Finally. So on to p.t. we go. I hope your little girl starts gaining better soon. Try not to stress too much. At least she's gaining. That's important. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it's good to get helpful information. And, I am glad that the plane ride went well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are u on medication? What is the range of the ft3?

    Tsh is highly suspect. U feel bad?

    I used lactation blend by Tori hudson hands down best thing ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. H didn't gain 5oz a week.....not even close.

    ReplyDelete
  8. E gained between 3 and 4 oz per week and then when I switched to formula...the same. :( Yes, those thyroid #'s look a little off. I love it when my TSH is like .5. I feel good. I know that the range for my lab for T4 is .8 to 1.8 and I feel better when mine are at the top of the range.

    ReplyDelete