Friday, July 8, 2011

Cloth Diapering Update (3 months old)

My post on my plan for my cloth diaper stash.
My post on cloth diapering at 1 month where I talk about washing and other stuff.




So far we've been using:
2 dozen Green Mountain Diaper Prefold Newborn (Orange)
6 Thirsties X-small Covers
Snappi Size 1 Triple Pack 
Baby washcloths (I have about 2 dozen I think) as wipes

6 Flip One-Size Covers with Snaps 
2 Fuzzibunz One Size Diapers 
Little Beetle Little-to-Big (One Size) Organic Wool Cover with Snaps
Thirsties Stay-Dry Hemp Insert, Small
2 Fuzzibunz Hanging Diaper Bags
G Diaper Flushable Inserts (when we travel) 
Planet Wise Wet Bag, Large


I also have but haven't yet used:
2 dozen Green Mountain Diaper Prefold Small (Yellow) 


K will be 3 months tomorrow and is no quite 10 pounds, so she is a small baby.  She still fits into the newborn size GM prefolds and Thirsties X-small covers.  She's getting close to outgrowing the newborn prefolds, but not quite and the smalls are still pretty big so will need to be folded.


We've now used the Flip covers both with the G diaper liners and with the prefolds.  They are working well and we've had almost no leaks, so I feel good about using them as our main cover once she outgrows the newborn prefolds soon.  I've even used the Flip cover by itself as a swim diaper, and it successfully kept breastmilk poop in.


At night, we use the wool cover and the hemp insert with a prefold. K has been a very heavy wetter since we started supplementing and we definitely need the extra absorbency of the hemp insert and the breathability of the wool cover.  The wool cover we have is a one size adjustable with snaps and we've been using it since about 6 weeks or so.  It hopefully will fit until she's pottytrained.   


We've also used the Fuzzibunz diapers.  They seem to work well and we haven't had any leaks.  I use them mainly as backup diapers for if she gets the cover dirty while we are out or if I get behind on laundry.  We'll also use them for when we have a babysitter, which will be a week from Sunday, for the first time.


K got a pretty bad diaper rash after starting formula, so we've been using rash cream on her with a muslin liner (just cut strip from a yard I got at the fabric store).  For minor rashes, we use a mix of Burt's Bees Baby Bee Diaper Ointment and California Baby Calming Diaper Rash Cream.  For more serious rashes, we add in Boudreaux's Butt Paste.  


Here's what I have in her diaper bag:
a change of clothes (at least a onesie)
wipes (I use the Ta.rget brand lanolin ones)
two prefolds (I don't generally bring a extra cover)
a Fuzzibunz pocket diaper
a couple G diaper liners
a couple disposable diapers
a travel changing pad (I highly recommend one; we have this one)
a wet bag for keeping the wet/dirty diapers in (I only have one Planet wise, so I also use a Munchkin ones too)
a couple burp cloths
my nursing cover


We use cloth almost exclusively even when we are out, unless we are traveling somewhere where we won't have access to a washer and dryer for a few days.  Even then, we use the diaper covers (either Thirsties or Flip) with the G diaper liners.  I do keep a couple disposables in case of emergencies.


There are a couple things I would like, would like more of, or want to try for baby #2:
BumGenius 4.0- I'd like one or two just to try them
another Little Beetle One Size Wool Cover with Snaps-I only have one wool cover and we use it every night unless it gets dirty and I have to wash it, then I have to use a different cover like the Flip
Mommy's Touch Newborn Cover- I'd like one or two for if we are blessed with baby #2+, for before the umbilical cord falls off, the Thirsties were a little too big for 6 pound, 6 ounce K when she was born and we ended up using disposables

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update! I am planning to use cloth diapers for my first who is due in December. I enjoy seeing what is working for you and your sweet baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad it's going so well!

    You keep a LOT in your diaper bag, girl! It is STOCKED!

    I never thought to use a wool cover at night. My Aunt gave me one...do you just use the prefold inside of it? How does that work? I haven't used it at all b/c 1) we live where it is very very hot and 2) I wasn't sure how! :)

    ReplyDelete