Monday, January 17, 2011

Family Baby Shower and a couple odds and ends * Updated

Update: I went to see the ob and she checked me out and didn't see any reason for the pain other than he's got his back jammed way into my side.

Saturday was the family baby shower in Austin with my mom's family.  It was great to see everyone especially my grandparents.  In addition to my grandma, all of my aunts, two of my grown cousins, my future sister-in-law and D's best friend's wife were all there.  There were three kids there (in addition to my in-utero one), my cousin's daughter who is two years old, D's best friend's daughter who is seven months old (and actually they are expecting #2, she's four weeks or so), and my youngest cousin who is five months old.  We now have the pack and play (so he'll have somewhere to sleep), the bottles (just need the breast pump although we'll only be using them occasionally unless there's an issue), the stroller base (got the snap and go), the high chair/booster seat, one of the wool diaper covers, the bathtub, a bunch of washcloths and towels and a few receiving blankets.  I don't have pictures yet since we didn't bring our camera, but I should hopefully see some soon and I'll post them when I do.  I have another shower at the end of February that my MIL and mom are throwing.

I've been having some pain on my far right side for the last day or so.  It's in an area where he's been kicked so I'm assuming it's probably just some body part wedged in, but I have a call in to the ob to see what she says.  I'm 28 weeks and 2 days today and since Saturday, I've been getting quite uncomfortable.  I had to get a new bra earlier this week (thankfully the last one lasted from 16 weeks to about 28 weeks).

Also, does anyone have suggestions for secular resources for NFP?  I'm hoping to encourage my brother's fiancĂ©e to look into it after a talk we had this weekend, but they aren't religious at all so I want resources that focus on the medical/environmental side of the pill and how NFP works.

6 comments:

  1. "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler is the best secular NFP resource I know (although she calls it the "Fertility Awareness Method" and gives the option of using condoms during the fertile phase while avoiding). It's the book that introduced the Protestant me to NFP and made me more open to Catholic NFP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I would suggest, too. I think the FAM approach is a _much_ smaller step to present someone with, significantly less overwhelming than NFP. Imho, it would be easier to talk to someone about taking it further and the reasons for doing that once the mechanics of the method are understood. It doesn't involve a full commitment to NFP, but there's no full commitment to the pill either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though the CD, Contraception Why Not by Janet Smith speaks of moral reasons, it also has a ton of secular reasons not to use the pill as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wonderful about the shower! Such a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One can do the CrMS and have it not relate to religion. Like Tridentine, my practioner has clients who are all over the place. It is proven to be so successful! I'd definitely encourage it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and glad to see you are your precious bump are doing well:)You not too far out from meeting the little one!!!!

    ReplyDelete