Monday, October 24, 2011

Baby Led Solids

K has been fighting me a lot on eating solids.  Most days I'm lucky to get her to even take one bite (which is my goal).  She does like to hold the spoon and put it in her own mouth when she eats.  I have been making her food, steamed and then fork mashed.  So far she has had:
-avocado (likes)
-banana (doesn't like)
-sweet potato (ok)
-chicken pureed with sweet potato (likes)
-yogurt (likes)
-apples (likes)
-peas (ok)
-oatmeal/oat bread (likes the bread)

I'm starting to doing baby-led solids (also known as baby-led weaning) like I had originally had plan instead since she is able to decide if she wants to eat.  Spoon-feeding does not seem to be working for us.  It's not that she doesn't like the flavors because she will eat occasionally.  Today I put her different purees that I had already made on a piece of toast and she fed herself and loved it.  I'm going to steam up some more apple and sweet potato, but I'm going to cut them into stick/wedges (long and somewhat) that she can hold and gum.  I'm going to continue to do the chicken pureed and spread it on bread since she won't be able to chew chicken for a while.  Next up food-wise: carrots, green beans and peaches.  I'm going to steam her fruits and vegetables and occasionally mash them to spread on bread.  I'm trying to figure out about freezing things after I steam them since I'm not going to be pureeing/mashing them.

1 comment:

  1. I bought some silicone ice cube trays for freezing. I tried the plastic ones but struggled to get the food out. I fill each cube which is about an ounce, wrap tight with plastic wrap and put in the freezer. When they are frozen I transfer them to a ziploc bag that I label with what it is and the date. They will last about a month.

    I try to take what I need out the night before and let it defrost in the fridge but if you forget you can just pop it in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.

    ReplyDelete